Thursday, July 31, 2008

Album Review #4: Whiskeytown

Pneumonia, by Whiskeytown (2001)

I've never been much into mainstream country (although I do go through phases once in a while), but one genre I have really grown to enjoy over the last couple of years is what some might call alternative country, or alt-country. (Easier to type.) My first real exposure was to The Jayhawks, which numerous websites have designated that grossly overused phrase, "Best Band You've Never Heard Of."

Whiskeytown drew similar comparisons during their short and fairly volatile history. They were only really in existence for two years, and only two members were constant over even that time: Caitlin Gary and Ryan Adams (not to be confused with Bryan Adams). I'd bought a couple of Ryan Adams's solo albums (he's had a pretty successful solo career), Heartbreaker and Easy Tiger, which I thought were starkly different. Heartbreaker was half near-punk and half extremely mellow rock, but the latter was decidedly more country, complete with slide guitars, etc. Pneumonia seems to fit somewhere in the middle, which works just fine with me.

Adams's voice is surprisingly versatile. In any of his (or his affiliated band's) albums, he could remind you of anyone from Harry Nilsson to Paul Simon to Gram Parsons to (insert very twangy-voiced country singer here), and you really get a taste of this in Pneumonia.

The album raises its proverbial curtain with a charmingly wheezy harmonica intro on "The Ballad of Carol Lynn". Each of the first three songs is of a certain flavor, light-hearted and walking-paced, with country influences. Really, most of the songs are like that. When trying to describe the album, I'm reminded of a phrase borrowed from the late Mitch Hedberg: "all exciting at first, but by the end your f---ing sick of it." (Note: Mitch's use of the phrase is quite different...that would be how he describes eating pancakes.) It really is nice to listen to for a while, especially on a road trip or something, but before too long I find myself skipping tracks, just a little bit bored.

When I do skip ahead, I usually look for "Jacksonville Skyline", with its really nostalgic lyrics. Sample: "Well Jacksonville's a city with a hopeless street light / Seems like you're lucky if it ever changes from red to green / Well I was born in an abundance of inherited sadness / and fifty-cent picture frames bought at a five-and-dime." I like the care-free-ness and rhythm of "Paper Moon", which has a faintly Latin taste. "Crazy About You" and "Bar Lights" are also favorites.

More than anything, it was a good experience to see where Ryan Adams came from. It's funny; kinda like he can't decide what kind of musician he is. Mainstream rock? Punk? Does he belong in Nashville? That musical indecisiveness and unpredictability is what makes his stuff appealing. At least to me.

Grade: B

No comments: