Wednesday, June 29, 2011

JoshCast #34 - Hard Sun

I like to think that my musical tastes are relatively expansive, but I've found in the last decade that I inevitably circle back to the same three musicians: Dave Matthews Band, Ryan Adams (not to be confused with Bryan Adams), and grunge legends Pearl Jam.

I still remember many, many years ago, when I was but a wee sophomore in high school, I bought Ten, their '91 release that skyrocketed them to never-ending fame. A number of weeks later, my mom confronted me, worried that my purchase was a sign that I was perhaps turning, um, rambunctious. I guess they did have that sort of reputation, but I allayed her fears when I showed her they weren't just a bunch of hardcore, screaming hairbangers -- although, yes, they do that pretty damn well, too. (I also had a Rage Against The Machine album which she should've been more worried about, but luckily, that was glossed over.) In fact, they're musical talents are so very well-rounded: from the wildly popular "Alive" to the little-known gem "Cropduster" to the far more subdued and heartfelt "Gone".


Leadman Eddie Vedder's involvement in the 2007 movie Into The Wild is just the latest of his impressive efforts, exemplified by the following song, "Hard Sun", which remarkably fits the expansive wilderness setting of the majority of the movie. Hope you like it as much as I do:

No comments: