Sunday, August 9, 2009

JoshCast #11 - Hello, It's Late

Ever since a buddy of mine introduced me to them back in 10th grade and I bought their then-newest album, No. 4, I've had an on-again-off-again affinity for the Stone Temple Pilots. I loved that album when I first bought it and played it so regularly that, for me, it forever became a symbol of that time. Any time I hear "Glide", I'm vividly reminded of driving down McCann St at 1am on Saturday nights after closing up shop at Tony Roma's as a busboy. Yeah, I reeked of BBQ sauce and smoke, but me and my '89 Jeep Comanche were happy as long as STP was playing. (And the windows were rolled down.)

Anyway, it was their straight-up hard rock that won me over (see "Plush" and "Wicked Garden"), but I was also intrigued by their slower-paced ballads (see "Creep" and "Atlanta"). Singer Scott Weiland wails sorrowfully in one of STP's more obscure ballads, "Hello It's Late" from Shangri-La Dee Da:

No comments: