Monday, June 1, 2009

Quotes

I was going through some long-forgotten stuff on my computer today and found something kinda cool: a bunch of old quotes I had collected throughout college. Quotes have always been appealing to me. Something about a proverbial truth or nugget of wisdom expressed in a sentence or two really strikes a chord with me. Probably because a sentence or two is as much as I can read in one sitting. I bequeath some of my favorites to your eyes:

The surest sign that intelligent live exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
- Bill Watterson

Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything.
- Blaise Pascal

As the poet said, “Only God can make a tree” – probably because it’s so hard to figure out how to get the bark on.
- Woody Allen

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it’s just the opposite.
- John Kenneth Galbraith

Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles.
- Pat Paulsen

If your parents never had children, chances are you won’t either.
- Dick Cavett

It is well that war is so terrible, lest we should get too fond of it.
- Robert E. Lee

Tongue: a variety of meat, rarely served because it clearly crosses the line between a cut of beef and a piece of dead cow.
- Bob Ekstrom

Be a fountain, not a drain.
- Rex Hudler

Duct tape is like the Force: it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
- Carl Zwanzig

I never forget a face, but in your case I’ll be glad to make an exception.
- Groucho Marx

And my favorite:

Once the game is over, the King and the pawn go back in the same box.
- Italian proverb

No comments: