Monday, June 8, 2009

An Exercise in Sabermetrics


I'm betting that the following sabermetrics puzzle (sabermetrics, essentially, is the science of baseball statistics) is somewhere in the textbook at the right. A question popped into my head over the weekend, and I thought I'd take a little survey. Consider the following situation:

My fastball has finally earned me a spot on the roster of a major league club; let's say the Rangers. We're up 5-3 in the bottom of the 8th on the Damn Yankees, and we're in a tough spot: we're facing Mark Teixeira. The manager puts me in. Choking under the enormous pressure of a major league debut, I give up a solo home run to Tex on my first pitch. Frustrated, the manager yanks me right back out. Note that I didn't record a single out.

All one elaborate story that can be summed in the following statistic: 0 IP (innings pitched), 1 ER (earned run given up). The question is, what is my ERA? (ERA = earned run average per 9 innings)

2 comments:

Kelli said...

this makes my head hurt.. haha

Josh said...

Haha, mine too. The best answer I can come up with: infinity. Because if you didn't get anyone out, and you gave up one run in one at-bat, and that trend continued, you would NEVER get to 9 innings pitched. You'd just keep giving up runs forever.

Someday I'll actually look this up in the rulebook...