Thursday, June 5, 2008

Go-bama!

I found an article on CNN where a bishop described his feelings and opinions as he watched Barack Obama wrap up the Democratic nomination. I'm not great with sharing my thoughts on politics, so I'll let Bishop T. D. Jakes do it for me:

"I congratulate not just Sen. Obama on his victory, but the country on this landmark event that has shattered a past all too often filled with reasons to separate us as opposed to a voice of reason to unite us. The victory cup does not rest on the shoulders of the senator alone, but to all those who have been able to lift the conversation from petty racism, antiquated cut-throat politics, and fear-based campaigns to the larger issues of how we would like to see our country led into the future and ultimately how our country will be remembered."

Couldn't agree more. Yelling at each other hasn't really worked too well, as we've especially seen over the last decade or so. Let's finally learn that lesson, huh? The words "politics" and "government" have developed such overwhelmingly negative connotations, because most discussions involving those topics are made under the pretense, "I'm right, you're wrong, deal with it." All that does is divide the American people more and more deeply.

Maybe that's starting to come to an end...?

No comments: