Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Wisdom of John Wooden

Every morning, while I eat my bowl of Wheaties, I watch "Mike and Mike in the Morning" on ESPN2 (simulcast on ESPN Radio). Normally, I've only been awake for about 30 minutes (75 if you count snooze time), so I'm pretty much staring blankly at the TV as they interview some relevant sports figure or talk about Mike Golic's weight. But on the occasion, I'll wake myself out of my early-morning stupor and actually pay close attention. Anytime Bill Walton appears, I'm sure to open my ears, because his controlled ramblings are simply priceless to listen to.

John Wooden, the greatest basketball coach ever (most would say), turned 99 today. Who better to converse with on the life and personality of Wooden than the legendary Bill Walton, who played for him at UCLA in the early 70's? (Entire interview available here -- at least for now.)

Walton had nothing but the highest praise for the man. One thing he said in particular really struck a chord with me: "He never spoke about basketball; he always talked about life."

To him, teaching basketball took a back seat to teaching about life, but as it turns out, when you learn about life, you're learning about basketball. It seems like this was Wooden's approach. You certainly can't argue with 10 national championships in 12 years, and it seems like his teachings could be applied long after his players cut down the nets.

Some nuggets of wisdom he has imparted:

"Be quick, but don't hurry."

"It's the things you learn after you know it all that count."

"Happiness begins when selfishness ends."

"Be at your best when your best is needed."

And Walton points out, it's so easy to say these things. But consider them for longer than five seconds, and actually think about how to put them into practice, especially when you're at life's extremes (the highest highs, or the lowest lows). It ain't easy. But it's worth it.

I am too young to appreciate what you've done, Mr. Wooden. But I'll do my best to learn someday. Happy 99, sir.

No comments: