Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Mike Blowers, Precognitive

Whenever I watch a Dallas Cowboys game on Sunday, and I find them needing a big play to reverse their fortunes, I'll do what most fans do: make an outlandish prediction for the next play and try to will it to happen metaphysically. Just two Sundays ago, as Eli Manning marched his New York Giants down the field in what eventually was the game-winning drive, I yelled at the TV, "Interception, Terence Newman!" or "Sack, DeMarcus Ware!". At this I fail, without fail: it has never ever EVER worked.

Maybe I need to take lessons from Mike Blowers.

Last Sunday afternoon, on a pre-game show, the Seattle Mariners color commentator laid out a painstakingly detailed account of what would happen that afternoon against the Toronto Blue Jays. In a manner reminiscent of Carnac the Magnificent or those precogs in Minority Report, Blowers made the following prediction:

(1) Mariners rookie Matt Tuiasosopo would...
(2) hit his first big-league home run...
(3) in his second at bat...
(4) into left-center field....
(5) into the second deck...
(6) on a fastball...
(7) with a 3-1 count...

Have a listen to what actually happened:

1 comment:

bryan said...

Haha, nice. Reminds me of this:
http://xkcd.com/628/