Monday, November 10, 2008

Album Review #7: Bruce Springsteen

We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions (2006), by Bruce Springsteen

I'm probably what you would call a casual fan of Bruce Springsteen. I was highly exposed to The Boss as a kid because Springsteen songs comprised about 85% of the music my dad and I would listen to when he'd drive me somewhere. As a result, I probably can (and do) recite the lyrics to "Tunnel of Love" and "Secret Garden" in my deepest sleep. But it never really clicked with me for an extended period of time. I like his music and appreciate his legendary influence on rock music for over 30 years, but I never have what we East Texan hillbillies might call a "hankerin'" to put a Springsteen CD in my car like I might other artists.

The premise for We Shall Overcome is an interesting one, and it intrigued me more than his other recent works. Take one look at the album art, and you might pick up on it. It consists entirely of Pete Seeger folk song covers with the country equivalent of a "big band", all recorded in only two days. I'm reminded of Thickfreakness, by The Black Keys, which was recorded in 14 hours. The result is a raw and somewhat disorganized, but very pure, form of music. And that goes very well with country folk rock.

It doesn't take long before you're exposed to the loose and decidedly fun attitude that dominates the album. A finger-pickin' banjo introduces track one, "Old Dan Tucker", followed by the strong (but not too strong) presence of a horn section (tuba, trombone, trumpet), and a raucous chorus. These elements, along with the upright bass, accordion, fiddle, and countrified percussion, are omnipresent throughout the album. I kinda feel like I'm listening to the opening act of the Soggy Bottom Boys in the movie O Brother Where Art Thou?

Most of the tracks are bouncy and almost playful, like "John Henry," "Jacob's Ladder," and "Pay Me My Money Down." "My Oklahoma Home" laments the mistake of settling down right in the middle of the Dust Bowl/Tornado Alley ("It blowed away / It blowed away / My Oklahoma home, it blowed away / It looked so green and fair when I built my shanty thar / But my Oklahoma home, it blowed away") to an ironically happy-go-lucky tune.

Some songs have a more subdued, sometimes even somber mood. "Mrs. McGrath", an old Irish anti-war folk song, is an example, and "Shenandoah" plods along with a gospel choir quietly backing up the vocals. "Erie Canal" is a highlight, with a very N'awlens-y instrumental solo.

In my opinion, it can get a little old after awhile, but then, maybe I don't know how to fully appreciate this genre yet. And I really like it when the time is right. If you're in the right mood, We Shall Overcome is flat out fun to listen to. Especially if you're driving way out in the country (as I occasionally do on those trips home to East Texas). Nice one, Boss.

Afterthought: Oh, by the way, this is the '07 Grammy winner for Best Traditional Folk Album.

Grade: B+

No comments: