Sunday, August 24, 2008

Five Burning Questions

1. Why is the TV show House appealing?
There aren't any sarcastic undertones to that question either: I actually like watching it, and I can't really figure out why. Every episode (that I've seen) is cut from the same mold. Patient has some bizarre ailment, House yells at people while popping "tic-tacs" and orders 16 hard-to-pronounce drug regimens and tests, patient pushed to the brink of death, House does something funny with his cane. Finally, the mystery is solved, and its always some sorely disappointing and anticlimactic solution. "She's been having hallucinations, is going blind, suffers from crippling seizures...I've got it! She's been eating moldy bread...which, when combined with this genetic disorder, causes symptoms similar to taking LSD." And yet, I watch and love it! And since in real life he also has a British accent, Hugh Laurie is my hero.

2. What is former Cleveland Cavaliers all-star Brad Daugherty doing covering NASCAR?
Bizarro-world. It's like watching Comedy Central presents Pat Robertson, or maybe Mr. T hosting a show on the Weather Channel. (Resisting the temptation of a cheap "I pity the fool" quote...)

3. Why do I only want Chick-fil-a on Sunday?
It was Sunday afternoon at 1pm, and there was only one thing that actually sounded good to eat: a Chick-fil-A sandwich. Why is it that these cravings and temptations never come on a weekday, when they're actually OPEN? Does anyone else out there have this problem? I think I'm going to start hoarding them and turn one of my kitchen drawers into a Super Top Secret Chick-fil-A Sandwich Stash.

4. How is my bamboo plant still alive?
I happened upon a bamboo plant around last Thanksgiving, and I've somehow managed to keep this thing alive for 9 months now by supplying it only with Ozarka twice a week. Doesn't keeping a plant alive (even bamboo) involve some kind of fertilizer, or at least soil? There's a few pebbles around its base, but if I'm not mistaken it's mostly styrofoam keeping it in place. Not sure that's how God intended it.

5. Are the people in charge of road construction in the city of Dallas insane?
My office building is located on a really short street called Rambler Road that runs north-south and dead-ends on the north at Meadow Rd and on the south at Walnut Hill Rd. Both intersections are completely under construction; one is completely impassable, and the other is only navigable by coming at it from eastbound Meadow Rd and turning right. Our building is fourteen stories tall, so there are plenty of people trying to make it through that war zone at 8:30 am. And, oh yeah, there's a big elementary school zone all along this area on Meadow, which as of tomorrow, will be infinitely busier as the youngsters march back to school with Jonas Brothers lunchboxes in hand. All this is adding up to become the perfect storm of morning rush hour traffic tomorrow morning. I worry that one day I'll be trapped there forever, and will be forced to live off of vending machine foodstuffs for weeks.

Well, that's enough meaningless rambling for one blog entry. Maybe one day my blog will contain some nugget of useful information for some loyal reader out there.

But I wouldn't bet on it.

1 comment:

bryan said...

I love House! But you're right -- I have no idea why. I usually make fun of it while I watch.

And here I thought I was the only one afflicted with bizarre Chick-fil-a cravings on Sundays. If you start a chicken sandwich stash, I'm raiding your apartment.